Thursday 7 July 2016

A Brief Note on Brexit

24th June 2016 was not a great day for me.

I don't feel that this is an appropriate place for me to rant about everything because the purpose of this, really, is to be cheerful and geeky and share love for my hobbbies. However, I am hurt by what's happened and the impact it's having and I want it recorded for whatever posterity a blog like this can achieve that not all Brits were happy with the result, that despite the media and politicians saying that Britain has clearly spoken, a lot of us don't agree with the outcome and I, at least, don't agree that you can call 51.9% "a clear, decisive majority".

I'm angry. I love free movement of people (so am pleased to hear we're likely to keep that, assuming we're not going to abandon the single market). I don't know much about economics, but I know we trade outside the EU but more favourably within: not because the EU prevents us trading outside, but because it provides favourable rates to its members. I know we have laws coming from the EU, but these are good things, like protecting equality for women and ensuring holiday time for workers and restricting the working week and (actually most importantly) protecting the environment. I don't believe that us leaving the EU is going to plunge us immediately into global war, but I do believe the EU is the reason there hasn't been war in Europe for decades.

(Which segues nicely into a Kipling line recalled to me as a result of the Chilcott enquiry: "If any question why we died,// Tell them, because our fathers lied.".)

It was also the day I got formally diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobility type) and mild fibromyalgia (overlap with chronic fatigue syndrome). So all in all a very stressful, emotional day I'm still coming to terms with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment