Sunday 16 June 2019

Real Life Interlude

Between Ziggy, Cat and the discovery of the Homecoming City of Heroes servers, I found myself without the time to blog that I'd managed to carve out a few weeks ago. But not just that - the post I was working on when I stalled again is necessarily very critical of my mother-in-law and I felt bad about writing and publishing it - especially as the wounds are still very fresh. However, she recently bought me a load of yarn (I think her way of apologising without needing to actually apologise, which I'll take) and I'm feeling better about her and so, strangely, better about writing a post critical of her. Maybe because I can end it with a positive.

Anyway, that will come later. The post is about the first week or so of Ziggys life, which was difficult and stressful and jumbled so will take time to untangle onto the page. Or screen. In the meantime, I've been knitting and playing Heroes (mostly the Reunion server. Global handle @Tempest Skydancer) and looking after Ziggy and Cat and playing Aberrant and Pathfinder and reading and playing Pokemon Go and teaching aerial and occasionally managing to train aerial and overall feeling pretty good.
 
Kitty has been losing weight. We put it down to the stress of Ziggy's arrival at first, but then she seemed ill and we found a lump on her back so took her to the vets. Turned out to be a cyst, but they were aso worried about the weight loss so ran bloods then did an ultrasound and long story short she's either had an infection that she's recovering from and is getting older, or she has lymphoma. We're overfeeding her for a few weeks, then back to the vets. If she's recovering her weight, then it's the former. If not, they can start her on steroids but there's not much more they can offer: lymphoma in cats doesn't respond well to chemotherapy, which would destroy her quality of life and be dangerous to Ziggy. She does seem to be gaining weight so we're hopeful but anxious.


Ziggy's growing so fast! I mean, babies are known to but he's huge for his age. Part of me loves having a mini giant, and part of me wishes to have a little baby. He moved nonstop in the womb, and that hasn't changed, meaning he's also a very strong baby who's already standing with minimal support (he'll hold your fingers and pull himself up, and sometimes he'll let go with one hand and stay upright!), and starting to try to walk (with inconsistent success). He still can't sit unsupported for long, and is nowhere near being able to crawl. He's smiley and chatty and loves singing and shoving things in his mouth. We've let him test a few vegetables - raw carrot sticks seem to help with teething (he has 2 teeth already), while potato appears to be quite tasty and broccoli is both tasty and a great toy (he cried when he ran out).


I have to go back to work tomorrow, which I'm dreading. Only for half a day, then another few half days before I go on gardening leave - my department got sold to a company based in South Africa, which was a bit too far a commute for me. Then 3 more months home with him, but I need to use that time to find a new job to start soon after and that's a stressful feeling, especially with the Brexit bullshit hovering over us. I'm terrible at interviews so need to train that and create a suitable online profile to demonstrate I'm good at my job (which I am, but the technologies I've primarily used are outdated - I've only used IDEs in training seminars - I've mostly coded C, bash and php in vim! But I learn fast. They took me on with no knowledge, no experience at all and in a matter of months I'd overtaken people with years of experience. It's just the way my brain's wired. And I need to learn how to say that in an interview... I don't have a portfolio at the moment because my drive to code has been focussed on what I do at work (and since Ziggy arrived I've been too busy looking after him and have only recently started to recover my life). I'm hoping to use my half days to set up on github, something I probably should have done long before. I also need to dust off and probably reset my linkedin profile. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Gosh! I finally email you and then check my blog reader and you've posted a blog. I'm sorry to hear about those challenges, especially the MiL. She's not entitled to judge you or your child rearing. Hopefully she settles, backs off, or you can find a diplomatic way of telling her to keep her opinions to herself.
    Fingers crossed on the job front!!!
    Kindly,
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've received your gift card. Very generous, thank you so much! I'm giong to sit down and go through the list properly, but I'm definitely picking up some Meg and Mog books with it - they were one of my favourites when I was little and Ziggy seems to enjoy the ones we've already got. I think it's the simple drawings and bold colours that draw his attention at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I'll look for the book list that was given to me when my boys were born. It was from the mother of one of my students. She'd had 7 children, and this list was the books that had been universally enjoyed by them.
    And you are most welcome 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - we love reading with him :-D

      We also bought his next set of swimming trunks. He's growing out of his sharks and into dinosaur pirates

      Delete
  3. Dear Fern - I hop[e you've not had trouble with the card - Amazon UK contacted me to say they'd flagged the transaction as dodgy (not their words) as the card had been sent to an address that I didn't have listed for previous gifts. I have subsequently told them what it was so I'm hoping that so one's turned up to repossess his dinosaur trunks!
    :P
    Kindly,
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete