Monday 28 August 2017

#RPGaDAY2017: Day 28 - Biggest source of quotes

This is the topic I've been looking forward to the most, because I want to talk about Yonderland and save you from the shadows, which is nice.

Most of the quotes in our games come from obvious sources such as Python, inevitably, and Red Dwarf (Cat probably figures the most: "Fish!" "Today's fish is trout a la creme. Enjoy your meal"). Previous games show up ("Did it move? Hit it!"... aren't in-jokes the best?).

Personally, I quote songs a lot. Any time anything sounds like a song I know, I can't help it! 
GM: You wake up. What do you do? 
Fern: Grab a brush and put on a little make up. Hid the scars to fade away the shakeup. Why'd you leave the keys up on the table? Here you got create another fable. 

Other player: We'll have to dig it out
Fern: Dig through the ditches and burn through the witches that slam in the back of my DRAGULAAAAA.

Other player: I hide in the shadows
Fern: I've been watching, I've been waiting, in the shadows, for my time. I've been searching, I've been living, for tomorrow, all my life.

It must be very annoying. I try to rein it in, but with little success.

Of our group, only Husbit and I watch Yonderland but we adore it. We saw it described as "Monty Python meets Labyrinth" and thought it couldn't live up to that but we'd check it out anyway - and were hooked! It's by the Horrible Histories (warning: TV Tropes link) guys - another show only Husbit and I watch, and quote excessively - but with puppets instead of animations, and an ongoing plot rather than sketches.

It starts with Debbie and her husband Bob Peter preparing their twins for their first day of school, then runs through a montage of Debbie being very bored, watching daytime TV ("What's in the box?") before meeting Elf and learning about the portal in her cupboard that leads her to Yonderland, where she's their Chosen One, prophesied to save them from the shadows and Stuff.

Of the Horrible Histories cast, Martha Howe-Douglas plays Debbie and the guys play nearly everyone else, with a few other supporting actors and a small army of puppeteers. It's full of quotable lines: idiomatic misunderstandings ("Never say never" "She does really she just said it twice, right?"), mickey-takes of real world stuff (the aforementioned "What's in the box?", from a stupid, pointless and annoying gameshow called "Deal or No Deal?"), things that are repeated between episodes ("Let us cast off these cumbersome robes")... I was hoping to find you a nice compilation clip of catchphrases but got distracted by the official videos - this is the cast discussing their favourites - has to be said, Husbit is a huge fan of the one Ben Willibond and Jim Howick pick, while we use the crone's groan a fair bit!

It's funny and fun and family-friendly. 


~~~

RPGaDAY was started by Dave Chapman and is currently curated by RPG Brigade. To join in yourself, follow the questions in the graphic and blog, vlog, tweet, or otherwise share your responses with the hashtag RPGaDAY2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment